Copyright questions

The comments below are only for information and to suggest where further details may be obtained; this summary is not intended as legal advice.

The Diocesan Communications team has published a webpage on copyright.


All music played in public, and this includes in hospitals, clubs, bars, associations etc as well as concerts, is covered by copyright law and needs a licence. 

Please consult the SACEM website for information about how to obtain a licence; it’s easy and for a small fee (the cost depends on whether your event charges entry or not) you are covered.

See also the Diocesan website for information about using music from A Church Near You resource hub, and licences from the CCLI and/or One Licence.


The law says that you can replay a film at home if you bought or downloaded it legally. But although clubs and associations can replay up to 6 films a year to their members, they still need a licence.

SACEM is again your first contact, their local office will advise you.—quelles-sont-les-demarches


Before using an image on a website or in a newsletter, you should check that it is not under copyright.  Your search engine tools should have a way to only search for images which are licensed for use. 

Here’s how to search on Google:

Translate »

To continue using this site, please agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.